Saturday, May 2, 2009

Use "utilize"? Never. Well, hardly ever.

Utilize is the most worthless word in the English language. Seriously. It's superfluous, unneeded, pretentious. Useless.

And yet some very intelligent people constantly use utilize. From baseball commentary to business meetings, the utilization rate of utilize seems be increasing on a daily basis. In other words, people use it a lot.

Therein lies my dislike of the word utilize. There's no place to use this word where you can't say use instead. Right?

So why do people use utilize? Well, it sounds important. High utilization rates sound more impressive than saying people use this a lot. I mean, if you have high utilization rates, you are like to have a higher marginal income optimization rate, right? You won't get laid off if you're billable a lot.

So for all my dislike of utilize, I would never use it? Right?

Wrong.

The prime directive is to reach your audience. If your audience expects the word utilize, use it. If you're more likely to sway the project's budget committee to give your project money, then use it and all the other expected words. Your job is to be effective, and the rest be damned. Second-person writing with lots of active voice doesn't usually work in academic circles. You might be right to avoid passive voice, but in some circumstances you'd be dead right.

Of course, if you're writing dialog, the rules change. If your character is an agressive, career-minded up-and-coming manager, they'd be more likely to use corporate speak. Of course, you could also have a down-to-earth, stunning, strikingly attractive writer who keeps trying to correct her.

2 comments:

espressoSoft said...

I totally agree. I hate the word utilize. It is used mostly to make things sound important or technological. For instance we utilize technologies but we use a spoon. I thought it was just a made up technese version of use but I found out that it is actually from the word utiliser in French. So, it is legitimate English, and we can thank the British and their French-language loving past for it, but I still hate it.

The argument can be made, however, that there are other superfluous words in the English language. So we probably don't have a leg to stand on in this fight.

The Amazing Barry said...

As you read this, keep in mind that I am a corporate lackey and a technologist. No one ever mistakes me for a wordsmith, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

I have to say that I disagree. The English language is chocked full of redundancy. That is one of the things that makes it such an expressive language. I think that the word conjures a different image in the mind of a reader or listener.

In my mind, if you tell me a computer is being used I will expect to see someone sitting behind the keyboard. However, if you say that the same computer is being utilized I would expect that it gets used, but may not be currently in use.