Saturday, January 31, 2009

How Twitter Can Make You A Better Writer

Try writing your message in 140 characters, no matter what it is. Spaces count. If you can't do it, your message stays forever unsent.

That's the concept behind Twitter, a micro-blogging social network that allows you to subscribe to--or follow--people and let's them follow you. And everything you put out there has to be said in 140 characters or fewer.

Using 140 characters is easy if you're saying "I like your picture," or something simple. But most ideas aren't simple. And if you're like me and you detest IM-speak (I want 2 do smthng 4 U), the pressure is really on. Your idea is like a floundering airplane that needs to shed all unnecessary weight to fly.

Utilize? Use saves three characters. Very? Not likely. If you get rid of that, does it change the meaning of the sentence? If not--and it usually doesn't--away that goes.

The best way to write effectively, regardless of your purpose, is to write economically. Every word that doesn't suit your purpose must go away. For me, that translates into a savings of between 16,000 and 20,000 words between the first and second drafts of a novel. Every time you use a big word and a smaller word will do, you're better off with the smaller word. Simpler is better.

Writing to a 140-character limit and not cheating helps you establish the habit of writing better.

Try Twitter. It's free. It's fun. You get to know cool people. And you'll get better at self editing.

3 comments:

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Chris, I'm one of your followers on Twitter and I'd love to include your article in my newsletter, Sharing with Writers. If you wouldn't mind donating it for the betterment of writers, send it by e-mail to me at hojonews @ aol.com. Please put SHARING WITH WRITERS in the subject line so I don't miss it. And, of course, include a great tagline for yourself and your blog--complete with links. (-:

Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Blogging at SharingwithWriters.blogspot.com, named a Writer's Digest Top 101 Website
www.howtodoitfrugally.com

Unknown said...

I totally agree with what you wrote, Chris. I have learned to conserve words by using Twitter. I Tweeted a recipe in 140 characters today!

Morgan Mandel said...

Twitter's great practice. I've been writing short blurbs for my blogs, which will help when it comes to my novels.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com